History

  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 1
    1831 to c.1849 According to research, the name ‘Tambourine’ was originally derived from the local Aboriginal Bundjalung language of the ‘Yugumbir’ dialect of the Wangerriburra Clan. The local aboriginals referred to the area as…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 2
    1854 to 1870 James Henderson came to ‘Tabragalba’ in 1854 taking up a partnership with Dugald Graham. Graham later sold his share to James Henderson and went up to the Central Burnett District. On…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 3
    1872 to 1884 In 1872, Thomas Plunkett opened the First General Store in Tamborine. Then in 1874, the Post Office was opened with Plunkett serving as postmaster when the mail route opened from Beenleigh…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 4
    1884 to 1902 In 1862, the Lahey family emigrated from Ireland with eleven children. In 1875, Francis Lahey purchased a sugar mill at Tygum near Waterford for his sons, later expanding operations to include…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 5
    1902 to 1916 The Federation Drought began in 1895 and reached its peak in 1901 and 1902 across eastern Australia, particularly worse in Queensland which received almost no rain until December of 1902. As…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 6
    1915 to 1942 When local grazier Robert Collins first learned of the declaration of the world’s first national park, Yellowstone in the United States of America in 1872, he began to dream in 1878…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 7
    c.1876 to 1942 An important note of interest for the beginnings of Tambourine, is that the very centre of the township was originally located on the Yore Property. The town started at the front…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 8
    1942 to 1947 For this edition, we will concentrate on the construction of Camp Cable which became one of the largest US Training and Transit Camps in Australia, and had a major impact on…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 9
    1936 to 1955 One of our loyal readers, Keith Dean, has provided an interesting photographic insight into some of the local children associated with Tamborine’s Post Office, and a story about a young man…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 10
    1936 to 1948 In 1936 a letter was sent to the Department of Agriculture asking that the whole of Tambourine Mountain be declared a Sanctuary but this request was refused because of the clearing…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 11
    1874 to 1970 School As a point of interest, in 1921, the population of Tamborine was 172 people and Mt Tamborine (as previously known) was 221 people. By 1933, Tamborine had 183 residents and…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 12
    1847 to 1968 Following the war, in 1947 a large amount of the now Yarrabilba estate was purchased by James Fairlie Brett. Born in 1884 in Maryborough, Queensland, Brett had significant interests in sawmills…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 13
    1971 to 1997 In 1971, Arthur Page constructed a new observatory atop Mt Tamborine (as known at the time), following the death of his wife Berenice. The observatory was built by relocating the Arthur…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Part 14
    1990s to 2019 The Auchenflower House in the Toowong Parish, previously home to a nunnery, was demolished in 1969. Years later in the late 1990s, the billiard room and ballroom are eventually recovered from…
  • History of Tambourine & Surrounds – Year 1814
    ‘The Year Was .. 1814’ As promised in the last edition, we are going back to the beginning of the timeline (and earlier) to examine and feature certain major local events, families, individuals and…

Go To List Of References (so far) …